2008-06-15

Taco bell meal cost $200

Taco Bell Corp.Image via Wikipedia

Recently, I was in a mood for Taco Bell. Made a u-turn at a traffic light (on left-only signal) and got a ticket. I argued with the officer that he should know the rules and that I made a perfectly legal turn. That argument later turned into a plea to let me off with a warning.

The officer didn't yield and gave me a $75 ticket with an option for $30 Safety Driving class. I decided to contest that and so I plead not-guilty.

The hearing happened recently. I went to the court, hoping that the officer would not show-up (in Illinois, if the officer doesn't show up you win the case). But to my disappointment, he was there . The officer was winning all cases that day. After an hour or so, it was my turn and when I plead not-guilty, the officer was called. We both swore to tell the truth. The officer repeated what happened that day (I'm amazed by their memory, he even mentioned Taco Bell, maybe they record minute details when they issue a ticket). Judge asked me to make my counter-argument and I said:
"Your honor, I made a u-turn on left-only light"

[I heard few chuckles in the court].

The prosecutor ridiculed me by asking if I got the rule book and if so, If I read it. Judge reduced my fine (due to my lack of awareness). Long story short, my fine amount was: $185 (apparently they increased the fees for anyone who contests and appears in court).

Itemized bill:
Court fee:$185
Taco Bell meal:$6
Gas cost (to commute to court):$9+
Total:$200+

0 comments: